Make a gift to CIS Gulf South as an individual or organization.
Only YOU can keep caring adults in schools to help students succeed. Communities In Schools of the Gulf South serves 17 schools with 22 staff members and we need to raise $30,000.00 per school each year to maintain our services. CIS Gulf South has an active Go Fund Me campaign to help close our funding gap.
Communities In Schools of the Gulf South also accepts in-kind donations! If you are interested in making an in-kind donation please email us at email@example.com to tell us more about what you would like to donate.
There are Three Ways to Volunteer
Communities In Schools of the Gulf South offers three different types of volunteer opportunities.
Done-in-a-Day Volunteer Opportunities
Communities In Schools of the Gulf South has opportunities for community members to volunteer with us. For those with limited free time, Done-in-a-Day opportunities provide a chance to give back by working on a specific project. Done-in-a-Day volunteer activities are also ideal for corporate and civic groups to engage in service.
Examples of Done-in-a-Day volunteer projects include:
- Preparing in-kind donations for distribution (school supplies, food bags for breaks, holiday gifts)
- Assisting with CIS special events (soliciting raffle items, promoting events, volunteering day-of)
- Providing school beautification (planting, gardening, painting, clean-up)
Interested in volunteering with CIS Gulf South for a Done-in-a-Day opportunity?
Contact Rebecca Rubenstein to learn about volunteer opportunities: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click the button below to view a calendar of volunteer opportunities.
CIS Gulf South is seeking volunteers to serve as mentors. Expanding youth mentoring in New Orleans has been a top priority for CIS Gulf South. Extensive research has shown that youth who have adult mentors have a far greater likelihood of succeeding no matter their personal circumstances.
Our equation is a simple one -
one adult, one child, one lunch a week= 2 Lives Changed
Volunteer as a CIS Gulf South Mentor
The Communities In Schools of the Gulf South Mentoring Program gives adult volunteers and youth the opportunity to engage in a mentoring relationship in a structured and safe school-based environment.
To become a mentor you must:
• Be at least 21 years of age
• Complete a mentor application and interview
• Pass a background check and reference check
• Submit a copy of your driver's license
• Complete a 3-hour mentor training
• Commit to a minimum of one year as a mentor
Research has shown that a young person who has a mentor is more likely to:
• Improve self-esteem
• Stay in school
• Improve academic and social skills
• Feel encouraged to develop positive behaviors, attitudes and ambitions
Research has shown that adults who serve as mentors experience:
• Improved health and self-esteem
• A sense of purpose
• A much-needed break from their busy professional lives
To apply to be a mentor, please fill out the below application and email it to Rebecca Rubenstein, National Programs & Mentoring Coordinator at email@example.com.
Work For Us
Communities In Schools of the Gulf South, Inc. welcomes applications from qualified individuals who are committed to the success of children in public schools.
CIS Office Manager
Summary: Communities In Schools of the Gulf South, Inc. is expanding. We are seeking a qualified professional to assist with the daily support needs in our growing office. CIS is a non-profit affiliate of a national organization working in public schools in the Greater New Orleans area and currently serving 17 schools. The position is a full-time position with benefits. Wage commensurate with experience. Must have reliable transportation.
Interviews to begin December 3rd with the position starting on or around January 14th.
If interested, please click the Apply Now button below to fill out an application. Attach your cover letter and resume to the application before submitting through PDFfiller.
CIS Office Manager: Requirements and Job Description
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
DOL Status: Exempt
Reporting Structure: This position is supervised by the Director of Operations
- Answer phone and receive guests that visit main office
- Process, prepare, and deliver mail to post office
- Make daily bank deposits
- Order, track, and manage office supplies and equipment
- Assist with board and staff meetings
- Act as liaison to landlord, property manager, and other vendors
Bookkeeping (expert advice will be provided by CPA)
- Enter invoices and prepare deposits in QuickBooks
- Prepare checks for signature
- Maintain and organize accounts payable and vendor contract files
- Assist with new employees set up, paperwork, and training
- Ensure employee files are maintained in a consistent format
- Coordinate employee health insurance; serve as the liaison to health insurance provider
Assistant to Director of Operations & President
- Provide support to Director of Operations and President for major projects and day to day tasks
Specific Job Competencies:
Demonstrates agency core competencies
- Understands the purpose of communication and uses appropriate method of communication for each situation
- Uses clear and specific language utilizing “I” statements
- Displays active listening skills
- Responds to phone and email messages in a timely manner
- Uses discretion when sharing information
- Establishes a system for information sharing and follow-up
- Ability to organize work flow to meet goals
- Attention to detail
- Strong recordkeeping and documentation skills
- Demonstrate basic office automation skills in order to fulfill job responsibilities
- Seek out formal or informal training to increase computer skills to more effectively perform job skills
- Compile notes and other written information to share with co-workers and new staff to solve reoccurring computer issues and questions
- Demonstrate an increase in proficiency over time with the basic use of computer equipment and standard software operations.
- QuickBooks experience
- Google Drive experience
- Ability to work with diverse cultural backgrounds
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, enthusiasm and high energy
- Ability to lift 35lb-50lb
- Must have a valid Louisiana driver’s license and automobile insurance
- Criminal background check required